<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, October 1, 2012

A Tribute to Daniel Saraga

As I've mentioned before, the food blogging community is a pretty tight knit one.  Although many of us have never met in person, we still have a special bond based on common interests and passions that revolve around cooking, baking, writing, sharing recipes...all of the things that we food bloggers do.  Because of this, we feel the need to join together when tragedy strikes among us.  This is the reason for my post (as well as the posts of many others) today.

Daniel Saraga, author of The Haggis and the Herring, passed away suddenly a few weeks ago at the age of 37.  His wife gave a touching eulogy at his funeral that she published on their blog for all to read.  Daniel was in the same group as me in the Secret Recipe Club, which is how I became more familiar with his blog, his writing, and his personality.  He always struck me as a man who loved his family and food and joined them together quite frequently, just like I do.


When deciding which of Daniel's recipes to choose for his tribute, I felt myself being drawn to one that is his mother's.  Daniel shared it on her birthday.  It seems like a fitting time to honor her as well - the woman who gave him life, and who undoubtedly is suffering an awful loss right now.




I hope Daniel's family and friends can find peace during this tragic time, and know that the food blogging community has you all in our thoughts and prayers.  This tribute is our way of paying our respects.  RIP Daniel.


Mom's Creamy Greek Salad Dressing
from The Haggis and the Herring

1/4 cup vinegar (I used champagne vinegar)
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon onion powder (I used garlic powder)
5 garlic cloves

Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and mix.  Enjoy :)




Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At October 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Your dressing sounds wonderful! Greek Salad is one of my favorite things to eat during the summer. Excellent choice and excellent post!

 
At October 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM , Anonymous katherine Martinelli said...

I love the sound of this dressing, great pick. And beautiful tribute to Daniel. What a terrible loss.

 
At October 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM , Blogger Amy said...

This looks delicious - what a great way to honor Daniel

 
At October 1, 2012 at 5:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

My hubby is part Greek and I'm sure he'd love this recipe.

 
At October 1, 2012 at 8:06 PM , Blogger Lisa~~ said...

Love your choice and reason behind it, very heartfelt and a wonderful tribute to Daniel.

 
At October 2, 2012 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Nice choice and wonderful tribute to the community that Daniel fostered and nurtured.

 
At October 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM , Anonymous Abisaac @ Gluten Free Edmonton said...

Thank you for this tribute to my brother. The greek salad dressing was certainly a family favourite and a recipe that I shared on my log as well. I think I usually have a bottle of it prepped in my fridge at all times.

Thanks again,

--Abisaac Saraga

 
At October 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

It was our pleasure. I'm so sorry for your loss.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home