<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, May 4, 2012

Baked Chipotle Chicken Chimichangas

Our latest recipe swap theme was Blogger's Choice, where we were each assigned a blog and got to pick the recipe we wanted to prepare (think SRC).  The blog I was given, Kate's Recipe Box, had some great ones to choose from!  I came very close to making this but had a change of plans mid week, and ended up going with something different (I'm definitely making it soon though...like, probably next week!).

And coincidentally, it's a Mexican dish...perfect for tomorrow's Cinco de Mayo celebration!


I made some changes to Kate's recipe based on what I had on hand and our preferences.  My regular readers know Frank doesn't eat beans, so I omitted them...used smaller (and low carb) tortillas...and swapped out sauce from canned chipotle peppers for the enchilada sauce.  

I love that this recipe is a healthier alternative to its fried counterpart.  I also love that they were easy to prep the night before so we could eat them on a work night.  They were delicious!


Baked Chipotle Chicken Chimichangas
adapted from Kate's Recipe Box

1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 onion, chopped
8 whole wheat low carb flour tortillas (smaller size...can be found at Trader Joe's)
2 tablespoons (approximately...adjust based on your heat level preference) sauce from canned chipotles in adobo
1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken breasts
3/4 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
1/2 can black olives, chopped
low fat sour cream and cheese for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook rice with onion according to package instructions and set aside.  

Lay tortilla flat and spread adobo sauce evenly on it.  If necessary, soften tortillas first in microwave or a pan to be able to roll them.  Add even amounts of rice mixture, chicken, cheese and olives and roll up.  Place seam side down on foil lined baking sheet.  Repeat with all tortillas.

Spray lightly with cooking spray and bake for about 10 minutes, or until tortillas start to crisp up.  Top with sour cream and cheese (and guacamole/avocado if you have it...I didn't).



Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At May 4, 2012 at 8:45 AM , Anonymous Melissa said...

Looks great! I never think to add olives to our mexican dinners. I'll have to try it next time!

 
At May 4, 2012 at 8:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you liked them and Happy Cinco de Mayo!

 
At May 4, 2012 at 9:44 AM , Anonymous Jill (JBean Cuisine) said...

Beautiful photos - they look delicious!!

 
At May 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM , Anonymous raquel@eRecipe.com said...

This is a great idea for a busy week. Love this delicious and healthier version. =)

 
At May 4, 2012 at 10:51 PM , Anonymous Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) said...

Oh yum! These look amazingly tasty. I am definitely putting them on my menu for this week. :)

 
At May 5, 2012 at 1:52 AM , Anonymous Brianna said...

mmm ... I love anything with chipotles in adobo. Can't wait to make these for my family!

 
At May 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Jill | Dulce Dough said...

I love chimi's so I will have to give this baked version a try!

 
At May 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM , Blogger Amy said...

Ha -- I was about to write almost exactly what Brianna said -- anything with chipotles and I'm in! I will have to add these to my 'to make' pile of recipes ASAP!

 
At May 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

I can never bring myself to order chimichangas at restaurants because of how fried they are but these are the PERFECT alternative! Yum!

 
At May 8, 2012 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Looks great! I love the idea of baked instead of fried. I've made them that way before and they're really good.

Thanks for being part of the recipe swaps!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home