<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Raw Kale Salad with Walnuts, Pecorino & Lemon

Kale is everywhere these days.  I find it funny that over 20 years ago, when I was waiting tables at a family restaurant while in college, we used it as a garnish for plates.  No one would even dream of eating it.  Now, it's one of the famous "super foods" that's all the craze.   And I will proudly say that I'm a fan.

This salad was delicious.  It was the dish that represented the movie "War Horse" for my 24x24 party.  In the film, the horse owner was a farmer, so I wanted to choose a farm to table dish to represent it.

Crunch, crunch.


So eat up and make Dr. Oz proud! :)

Raw Kale Salad with Walnuts, Pecorino & Lemon
slightly adapted from Amateur Gourmet

1 bunch kale, stemmed, washed and torn into pieces
1 cup walnut pieces
2 lemons
grated pecorino romano cheese
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Put kale in a bowl.  Place walnuts in a dry skillet and toast until fragrant and warm.  Remove and chop.

Zest both lemons and add to kale.  Toss in walnuts, then juice lemons over the mixture.  Add oil (a generous amount, or else however much you like), salt and pepper, then toss.

Add cheese in (again, as much as you like) and toss salad several times to ensure everything is coated.  Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.


Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At March 1, 2012 at 8:21 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

I didn't think I would love raw kale salads as much as I do! You dressed it perfectly.

 
At March 1, 2012 at 8:30 AM , Blogger Cara said...

Raw kale salads are my favorite way to eat kale. With toasted walnuts and lemon sounds fabulous! Pinning this to my kale board :)

 
At March 1, 2012 at 3:33 PM , Anonymous Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 said...

The "crunch, crunch" made me laugh. I like kale, too, and I have to admit that when it first started getting big I wasn't sure if it was really edible! I thought it was garnish, too. This salad looks like the perfect way to enjoy it.

 
At March 2, 2012 at 12:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful healthy salad - perfect - I'm making this!!
mary x

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home