<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Homemade Hamburger Buns

I'm still working on this whole yeast thing...also known as the elephant in my room.  I never bothered baking my own bread because, honestly, bread doesn't get any better than what's available around here.  

Still, I felt the need to start baking my own, and now I'm really starting to enjoy it!  It's getting better, I must admit, but I definitely need more practice.

Like with these buns.  They were really good, but next time I'll probably pound them down a bit more.  And add sesame seeds.  Fun!


To all you other fraidy cats...try this recipe!  You'll surprise yourself and everyone else, I swear!  It's easy.

Homemade Hamburger Buns
from Frugal Living NW (more tips on this from King Arthur Flour)

1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 1/4 cups flour

In mixing bowl, sprinkle sugar and yeast over water.  Let sit for 5 minutes.  Add salt, egg and butter.

Turn mixer (with dough hook attachment) on low and slowly add flour, one cup at a time, until soft dough is formed.  Knead dough in mixer for several minutes.

Lightly flour hands and shape dough into ball.  Coat inside of mixing bowl with cooking spray.  Place dough back in bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled.

Divide into 8 pieces and form into rolls or buns.  Let rise on greased baking sheets for 30-40 minutes.  If desired, brush melted butter on tops and add sesame seeds, dried onion flakes, poppy seeds, or whatever you like.

Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until tops are LIGHT brown.  Cool on rack.


Labels:

2 Comments:

At March 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM , Anonymous katie said...

I love making my own hamburger buns, they make sandwiches taste infinitely better. Yours look great!

 
At April 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM , Anonymous Christy said...

Thanks for the recipe! Tried it tonight. We use sprouted wheat flour, so I added some gluten, white vinegar and ginger to help with the rise. They were great!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home