<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Turkey Sloppy Joes

There are different meals that are staples in certain homes.  If you're a regular reader of my blog, you know what some of ours are :)  What are yours?

One meal that I know is a popular staple with some families is sloppy joes.  And that's great.  It's just not something I remember eating much at all growing up...and until now, a meal that I never made.

All I picture when I hear the words is a Manwich can.  Do they even make that anymore?

Anyway, the mood struck me recently, and I caved.  With a healthier version.  On homemade rolls (another first!!!  recipe coming soon).


Thumbs up for sure.  This could be a new staple for us...and hopefully for you, too!  You could even make it your healthy option for Super Bowl Sunday, that is, if you're considering one :)

Turkey Sloppy Joes
slightly adapted from Martha Stewart

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cups chopped carrots
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3/4 pound ground turkey
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
4 sandwich rolls

Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.  Add carrots, onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper.  Cook for about 4-5 minutes, until soft.

Add tomato paste and cook another minute while stirring.  Add turkey and cook another 4-5 minutes until no longer pink, while breaking meat up with a spoon.

Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 12-14 minutes.  Serve on rolls.

Linked to: Tastetastic Thursday


Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At February 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM , Anonymous Katerina said...

I have never tried Sloppy Joes but this one looks definitely like something my family would love as well!

 
At February 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM , Anonymous stacey rennie said...

i'm making this tonight!! :)

 
At February 2, 2012 at 7:25 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

I can definitely remember my mom making sloppy joes...they were a favorite though I always wished hers would be messier. This sounds like a great healthy alternative!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home