<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Roasted Garlic, Caramelized Leek & Bacon Bites

I haven't been talking much about it, but I'm pretty freakin' excited about the Super Bowl.  As a lifelong Giants fan, you can understand why.

Once again, the underdog has prevailed.  I LOVE that.  Even when my team isn't the underdog, I think it's awesome.  All I keep thinking is, it's deja vu...and I'm hoping for the same outcome as four years ago.

My birthday is on Thursday and I'm not even thinking about it.  It's all about SUNDAY.

Now, I don't know what your Super Bowl plans are, but if you're looking for something a little classier than the usual football apps, this recipe is for you.  I'm all about the nachos, wings and crack dip, but sometimes I like to see some different options.

The blend of flavors here is really, really good.  And although they seem "fancy", they're very easy to make.  Oh, and I used frozen leeks (Trader Joe's comes through once again) so if that's all you have, go ahead and use them.

So, what are your Super Bowl plans?  And who are you rooting for?

Roasted Garlic, Caramelized Leeks & Bacon Bites
slightly adapted from What's Cookin' Chicago?

1 package prepared pie crust dough (or homemade)
2 bulbs garlic
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
extra virgin olive oil
4 thick slices bacon, cut into small chunks
1 cup frozen chopped leeks (or one medium leek), thawed and completely dried
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Season garlic with salt and pepper and coat with oil.  Wrap individually in foil and bake for about an hour, until soft.  Squeeze garlic out of skin with the side of a knife.  Set aside.

Saute bacon over medium low heat until crispy, about 15 minutes.  Add leeks to skillet (keeping heat at medium low), season with salt and pepper, and cook until very soft and sweet, stirring occasionally, about 20-30 minutes.

Lightly spray each tin of a mini-muffin pan.  Roll a small piece of dough into a ball the size of a quarter and press into tin, carefully, while making sure it reaches the sides.  Repeat until all dough is gone.

Place a small dollop of garlic paste into each crust, followed by leek and bacon mixture, then cheese.  Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.  Let cool slightly before serving.


Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At January 31, 2012 at 7:29 AM , Anonymous Jessy said...

I love every one of these ingredients. I can only imagine that they taste amazing together.

 
At January 31, 2012 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

Haha I'm SO not into football...except for game day food! These bites look so tasty!

 
At January 31, 2012 at 8:18 AM , Anonymous Leanne @ Around the Table said...

These look so perfect for a party! I am pinning them as we speak!

 
At January 31, 2012 at 10:05 AM , Blogger Sprigs of Rosemary said...

Well, I was planning on bacon wrapped breadsticks . . . until I saw these. (Yeah, it's all about the food. No Steelers :(
Please come back to visit my blog again and do "Food Bloggers Unplugged."

 
At January 31, 2012 at 10:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These little bites sound absolutely mouthwatering! lovely flavors. I found your blog through Rosemary at the lovely Sprigs of Rosemary blog - I'm so glad I did - I'm signing up to follow and so looking forward to more :)
Mary x

 
At January 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM , Anonymous Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 said...

These do seem fancy, but they could go perfectly with a football game or a dinner party. So versatile!

 
At February 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM , Anonymous Chris @ TheKeenanCookbook said...

These look delicious! I'm not really into the game but I do look forward to delicious food like this. Om nom nom.

 
At May 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM , Blogger @acca said...

You have delicious recipe here. Thanks for sharing it with us all. I am going to add more leeks here.
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home