<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, September 8, 2011

You really do learn something new every day.

I love hummus.  I really do.  But then, I stare at the tahini in my pantry and think, hmmm...what else can I do with this?  I've seen some recipes for other uses, but nothing that has really caught my attention.

And then I forget about it.  Until...

I start searching the net looking for something to do with 3 ripe bananas.  I wasn't in the mood for my usual banana bread, or muffins...and then, I came across this.  And I was nothing short of intrigued.


Who needs butter when you have tahini?


Tahini Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
from Kali Orexi


For the streusel:
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

For the cake:
1 1/2 cups AP flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup tahini
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 large (very ripe) bananas

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan and set aside. In a bowl, combine chocolate chips, brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon and stir. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Stir until well combined.


In a mixer bowl, combine tahini and sugar and mix on medium high speed for a few minutes. Add the egg, then vanilla and bananas.   Mix thoroughly. Slowly stir in flour mixture and mix until combined.

Spoon half the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle half the streusel topping over the batter. Pour remaining batter over and carefully spread it evenly with spatula. Finally, top with remaining streusel and bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Linked to:  Sweet Tooth Friday
                  Sweet Treats Thursday



Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At September 8, 2011 at 8:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what did it taste like?? did you like it?? what did the tahini do to the flavor or texture??

 
At September 8, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Delicious! The texture was fine - Frank noticed a difference before I even told him what was in it, but not in a bad way. Maybe not quite as moist as when you use butter, but still good.

 
At September 8, 2011 at 3:22 PM , Anonymous Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 said...

Whoa. I never of tahini in anything but hummus. I'm going to keep this recipe around because I've always avoided buying tahini since I didn't want to waste half a bottle. Smart!

 
At September 8, 2011 at 7:01 PM , Blogger Reeni said...

Omgoodness you are a genius, my friend! I hate that huge jar going to waste in my pantry. These are delectable!

 
At September 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

Super creative! These look great :) I'd love for you to link up to my sweet treats party this weekend! Hope to see you there!

Ashton
http://www.somethingswanky.com
Sweet Treats Thursday {Thu-Sun}

 
At September 12, 2011 at 9:32 AM , Anonymous Beth Michelle said...

This is amazing. I never thought that you could use tahini like this. I must give it a try.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home