<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The healthy way out

Eggplant is wonderful.  A clean slate of sorts.  And healthy, too.  Unless you decide to bread it, then fry it in a ton of oil.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it that way, I really do.  But a healthier alternative is always welcome.

This is the way I make eggplant parmigiana when I'm behaving myself.  And it still tastes pretty damn good.


Don't worry - I'll post the fattening version soon :)

Lightened Up Eggplant Parmigiana
1 large eggplant
salt
Marinara sauce
fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded
fresh basil leaves, torn
grated pecorino romano cheese

Peel eggplant in lengthwise strips.  Slice thin (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick) lengthwise and lightly salt. Place on wire racks (or drape over a large pot) to drain moisture, for at least an hour.

Preheat oven to 350.  Spread a small amount of marinara on bottom of 9x9 square pan.  Add layer of eggplant, followed by sauce, then mozzarella.  Add another layer of eggplant, then sauce, then mozzarella.  Top with sauce, then add grated cheese and basil.  Cover and bake for 25 minutes, then remove cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or so.

Linked to:  A Little Nosh



Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At September 21, 2011 at 10:44 AM , Anonymous nancy@skinnykitchen.com said...

This recipe looks really yummy! How funny, I just share my skinny chicken parmigiana recipe today! http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/so-simple-to-make-skinny-chicken-parmigiana/

 
At September 21, 2011 at 8:40 PM , Blogger Reeni said...

I love eggplant parm! Have you ever tried grilling it first? I thought I wouldn't like it as much as frying but it was really good - gave it a smoky flavor.

 
At September 24, 2011 at 6:56 AM , Blogger Amy Anderson said...

Thanks for linking up at A Little Nosh!

Amy @ A Little Nosh

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home