<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, September 26, 2011

Get your canned pumpkin yet? (Secret Recipe Club)

No, a month hasn't passed you by in two weeks.  Yes, it's another Secret Recipe Club entry, but not with my usual group.  I was asked to sub for someone who had a death in the family so I obliged.  And when I took a look around From Apples to Zucchini's blog, I was glad I did.  Pam has so many great recipes to choose from!  Be sure to check it out.

Now that fall is in the air, I had an urge to grab a can of pumpkin out of my pantry and put it to use.  I wasn't really in the mood for something sweet, so I got very excited when I saw this recipe.  The perfect autumn fix!  Plus, I had all the ingredients on hand (with a few minor adaptations).  Score!

The house smelled SO good.  It's such an easy dish to make - put this on your weeknight menu, for sure.  You could even make it up to the point where you have to bake, and refrigerate it until you get home.  Frank LOVED this, and was thrilled about having leftovers for lunch.


So, go hoard pumpkin off the supermarket shelves like the rest of the country has been doing (WHAT is with these canned pumpkin shortages anyway?) and make this soon!

Pumpkin and Sausage Baked Pasta
slightly adapted from From Apples to Zucchini

1 pound Italian sausage
1 cup chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 (15 oz) can pure pumpkin
1 1/4 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon dried sage
pinch of salt
1/3 cup fat free half & half
1 pound penne pasta, cooked
2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
3/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook sausage in a large, deep skillet until brown.  Remove from skillet and drain over paper towel.  Set aside.

Using approximately 2 tablespoons of fat from sausage, saute onion, garlic and crushed red pepper until soft.  Stir in pumpkin, stock and sage.  Add salt.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.

Stir in half & half and sausage and simmer until sauce comes together and thickens slightly.  Turn off heat.  Add pasta and parsley and gently toss all ingredients together to coat.

Grease a casserole dish and place mixture inside.  Top with grated cheese.  Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until top is golden brown.




Labels: , , , ,

26 Comments:

At September 26, 2011 at 7:26 AM , Blogger Pam said...

As soon as I saw this in the links, I *knew* : ) I am so glad that you enjoyed it! I am going to have to make this soon, myself again! : )

 
At September 26, 2011 at 8:49 AM , Anonymous Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos said...

This looks wonderful! I've been daring myself to use pumpkin in a savory dish...this just might be the one to try!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 10:48 AM , Blogger Plain Chicken said...

This sounds so interesting. I am bookmarking this to give it a try. I would have never ever thought to add pumpkin to pasta.

 
At September 26, 2011 at 10:50 AM , Anonymous kita said...

Mmm! I am off to go check my pumpkin supplies now!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Danielle said...

Oh hello! I L.O.V.E pumpkin and I'm really into finding more savory recipes to try it with. Of course now that they've mentioned the great pumpkin shortage of 2011, I might have to wait a while to try this recipe!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 11:24 AM , Blogger Eliotseats said...

This recipe jumped out at me from the blog hop list! It sounds great! And "From Apples to Zucchini" sounds like a great site! Wonderful SRC post.

 
At September 26, 2011 at 11:54 AM , Blogger The Food Hunter said...

Perfect fall pasta dish.

 
At September 26, 2011 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Erin said...

This pasta looks absolutely delicious! Perfect for a cool fall night!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 2:59 PM , Anonymous The Healthy Hostess said...

I haven't added pumpkin to pasta yet this year but thanks for the idea! I bet my 1 year old daughter would love it, too!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 3:22 PM , Blogger Bubbe Bites said...

Interesting idea to add pumpkin to pasta. I will have to give this one a try. What a great blog you got for SRC. You picked a really good recipe also. Thanks for sharing.

 
At September 26, 2011 at 3:28 PM , Blogger Joanne said...

Mmmmm... super Fall recipe.

 
At September 26, 2011 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Cindy said...

This sounds ineresting, I've got to try it!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 5:10 PM , Anonymous Hezzi-D said...

This looks amazing and perfect for fall. I love pumpkin, Frank loves sausage...we should be good to go!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM , Anonymous Delishhh said...

I love pumpkin, and yes it is that season but i am so behind :). Nice recipe!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM , Anonymous Georgie said...

This is an incredibly yummy recipe! I'm glad I had the chance to meet you through SRC - even though your not in my group - your a keeper ;)

 
At September 26, 2011 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Susan at www.ugogrrl.com said...

This looks amazing! Love the idea of trying pumpkin with our pasta/sausage. Great meeting you through SRC!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 6:43 PM , Anonymous marla {family fresh cooking} said...

I am soooo addicted to pumpkin & must try this pasta now :)
Awesome to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Here is my post from group C - http://su.pr/2rtACr

 
At September 26, 2011 at 7:41 PM , Anonymous Jey @ The Jey of Cooking said...

Yum, this sounds great! Bookmarked!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 8:13 PM , Blogger Angie - Big Bears Wife said...

oh my gosh! pumpkin and pasta!!!! that is a perfect perfect fall recipe!

Thanks for helping us out with Group C this month!!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 9:17 PM , Blogger Joanne said...

I've decided to stop believing in these canned pumpkin warnings. They never happen and i just end up with thirty cans of pumpkin come August. (No lie.)

I love using pumpkin in savory pasta sauces! How delicious!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 9:35 PM , Blogger Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

I have never tried pumpkin in a savory dish, but this sounds delicious! Perfect pick for the season!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 10:16 PM , Anonymous Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy said...

I love pumpkin pasta! I make it every year.

 
At September 26, 2011 at 10:40 PM , Blogger Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

This looks absolutely delicious, I just love this time of year! Great choice for SRC! :)

 
At September 27, 2011 at 12:40 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Most foods taste better freshly made than canned but for some reason, canned pumpkin is different. The canned pumpkin always tastes better. That's why people stockpile it like Armageddon when it comes to the store shelves.

 
At September 27, 2011 at 4:39 AM , Anonymous Manu said...

Great choice for the SRC and thank you so much for stepping in! :-)

 
At September 30, 2011 at 10:55 AM , Anonymous Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray said...

Wow, found this via Keep It Sweet's pumpkin party--looks amazing! I've been wondering if there were a savory way for me to use my pumpkin, and I definitely think this is it. :)

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home