<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, August 19, 2011

Sweet & salty goodness

Another ice cream post, you ask?

Yes.  Oh, yes.  (and there will be more, don't worry!)

This has been one of the most requested flavors from family members.  So, in preparation for several batches, Frank went to Costco and bought a huge bag of pistachios.

I love the sweet and salty flavor combo...yum.  Don't be afraid to use salted pistachios, I promise, you'll love it too!


Pistachio Ice Cream
adapted from Epicurious

1 cup salted shelled pistachios
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
4 egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup salted shelled pistachios, chopped


Finely grind 1 cup pistachios and 1/4 cup sugar in food processor. Bring milk and ground pistachio mixture to boil in large saucepan. Remove from heat. Mix in almond extract.

Whisk egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in medium bowl. Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture. Return custard to saucepan. Cook over low heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes (do not boil). Strain into large bowl. Chill for about 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Stir 1 cup heavy cream and chopped pistachios into custard. Process mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to container and freeze.

Linked to:  Sweets For A Saturday

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At August 19, 2011 at 8:54 AM , Blogger Beloved Green said...

Fun! I've been on an ice cream kick to lately. I think I'm trying to prolong summer as much as possible.

 
At August 19, 2011 at 9:08 AM , Blogger Delicious Dishings said...

My fiance would love this flavor. I just recently realized that I really haven't made any ice cream this summer -- that needs to change!

 
At August 19, 2011 at 12:38 PM , Anonymous Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 said...

I love sweet and salty. My in-laws are visiting and I bet they would love this!

 
At August 19, 2011 at 1:03 PM , Anonymous Maris (In Good Taste) said...

Love pistachio ice cream and this looks better then any I have seen

 
At August 19, 2011 at 4:03 PM , Blogger Maren said...

I see pistachio ice cream and I always get a little freaked out. Is it really that good?

 
At August 19, 2011 at 9:10 PM , Blogger Reeni said...

I love the sweet and salty aspect! Delectable!

 
At August 20, 2011 at 7:39 AM , Anonymous Sprigs of Rosemary said...

I have to tell you that since I was 8 years old, pistachio ice cream has been my favorite! Sometimes it's a little hard to find. Thanks for the recipe. I will be making it. (Too bad for me that I turned Mr. ROsemary on to it!)

 
At August 20, 2011 at 10:05 AM , Blogger Liz said...

Looks so yummy! Stopping by from Life As I Know It: Crazy Kids and All

 
At August 20, 2011 at 2:18 PM , Blogger Joanne said...

Why isn't there more homemade ice cream in my life? Pistachio is one of my favorite flavors! So excited to try this.

 
At August 26, 2011 at 11:20 PM , Blogger Betsy Brock said...

I've never had anything like this, but we love the sweet/salty combo and we love ice cream! Yum!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home