<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, June 10, 2011

Beating the heat, part two

The next best solution to a homemade meal without turning on the oven = crockpot.  Who says it's just for cold weather?  Not me...

Once again, I broke my rule for using a recipe that required cooking meat before putting it in the slow cooker, but it was only on the stove for about 5 minutes :)  The end result was totally worth it.

I also used london broil instead of flank steak (what can I say...it was on sale that week) and again, got a fantastic end result.  It shreds very nicely when slow cooked so it definitely works when making "old clothes".

And a big oops - I forgot to add the tomato sauce!  No matter - pardon my echo - the end result was still delicious.  But, just incase you don't have any on hand, you can still make this dish and be very pleased.


Ropa Vieja
adapted from Allrecipes

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 pounds london broil
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 1/2 cans (12 oz) tomato sauce
1 large onion, sliced
1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

Add vegetable oil to a hot skillet, followed by meat.  Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side.

Place meat in crockpot, then pour in tomato sauce and beef broth, followed by all other ingredients.  Stir until well blended.  Cook on high for about 4 hours, or on low for about 8-9 hours.

Remove meat, shred and serve with rice.

Serves 6-8.

Linked to: Sensational Sunday
                Mangia Mondays


Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At June 10, 2011 at 2:41 PM , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

This must have tasted very flavourful!

 
At June 11, 2011 at 6:51 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

Haha the post I read before this was also about using the crockpot to beat the heat! Maybe that's a sign...

This ropa vieja looks delicious!

 
At June 11, 2011 at 2:12 PM , Blogger Ciao Chow Linda said...

Crockpot cooking during a heat wave sounds like a great idea. I use my rice cooker too, but plug it in an outdoors outlet on the deck.

 
At June 11, 2011 at 8:34 PM , Blogger Reeni said...

The crockpot works wonders on meat like this! Sounds so flavorful and incredibly delicious!

 
At June 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM , Blogger annies home said...

oh yes love my crockpot year round summer time is so busy sometimes I wonder what we would do without it come see what I shared at htttp://shpannies.blogspot.com

 
At September 27, 2011 at 7:09 AM , Blogger Lora said...

I am making this later, is it tomato paste or sauce that is needed? I will let you know how it is. This is what my husband orders at every cuban restaurant!

 
At September 27, 2011 at 7:45 AM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Lora, it's sauce. Let me know how you guys like it!

 
At January 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This recipe is delicious! The london broil was perfect because it shredded very nicely as you said...

 
At October 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm making this tomorrow (assuming I don't lose power and can power my crockpot!) and can't wait!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home