<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Daring Cooks: Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

I still can't believe I've never been to New Orleans.  And if you know me, you probably are wondering the same thing.  Must.schedule.SOON!  The food alone is worth the trip.  I could eat Cajun cuisine every day.

Frank and I had our first date at Oddfellows, one of my favorite restaurants in Hoboken.  I completely admit I had many-a-first-date there, as well as plenty of fun nights out with the girls, and a few too many evenings with waaaaay too many hurricanes.  But the main reason I love it so much is the food.  It's delicious, it's cheap, and it's Cajun.  Just like our gumbo was tonight.

I was happy to see that Denise from There's a Newf in My Soup chose gumbo for this month's Daring Cooks challenge...I never made it before and as I mentioned above, I love anything Cajun.  I waited until tonight to make it (yep, today's the deadline!) because I knew a group of us would be together for dinner...we're still caring for my dad and sister who are recovering from their surgeries at my sister's house.  You have to cook this meal for a crowd - it's just better that way.

The original recipe comes from John Besh and it doesn't disappoint.  One thing I did differently was use the Trader Joe's chicken andouille sausage that I've raved about here before (I've used it in my paella) - there is zero sacrifice in taste and it's so much better for you.  Try it out - you'll love it, I promise.

I would also recommend using a little more chicken - I ended up with lots of "juice" leftover but the chicken disappeared fast (I used 8 thighs).  The original recipe calls for about 10 pieces, so I was short, unfortunately...but I think even a bit more than they recommend would be good.  You could use more sausage, too...I used 2 packages, which is 8 links.

The roux is the most important part of this dish.  DO NOT abandon it!  Watch it like a baby.  Don't be intimidated - just follow the directions and all will be right in the world :)

Keep this recipe in mind the next time you have a casual get-together, a crowd for the big game, or a nice cool night where you just want to kick back with great food and some beers.  It's that kind of meal.



Our May hostess, Denise, of There’s a Newf in My Soup!, challenged The Daring Cooks to make Gumbo! She provided us with all the recipes we’d need, from creole spices, homemade stock, and Louisiana white rice, to Drew’s Chicken & Smoked Sausage Gumbo and Seafood Gumbo from My New Orleans: The Cookbook, by John Besh.

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
adapted from My New Orleans: The Cookbook - by John Besh


1 cup canola oil
1 cup flour
2 large onions, diced
1 chicken (3 ½ to 4 lbs.), cut into 10 pieces
2 tablespoons Creole spice blend
2 pounds spicy smoked sausage, sliced ½ inch thick
2 stalks celery, diced
2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
1 tomato, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
3 quarts chicken stock
2 bay leaves
2 cups sliced fresh okra, ½ -inch thick slices (or frozen, if fresh is not available)
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Tabasco, to taste
White rice

Season the chicken with the creole spice and set aside.  Cut vegetables in advance, before beginning the roux, and set aside.

In a large stockpot, add oil over high heat.  Once it's hot, add flour and lower heat to medium.  Using a whisk, stir constantly for about 15 minutes.  The roux should become a brown color.  Once that happens, add the onions and reduce heat to medium-low.  Stir with a wooden spoon constantly for about 10 minutes, until it becomes a glossy dark brown.

Turn the heat back up to medium and add the chicken.  Cook until brown (turn once), about 10 minutes.  Add sausage, stir, and cook another minute.  Add celery, peppers, garlic and tomato and stir, cooking for another 3 minutes.

Add the thyme, stock and bay leaves.  Bring gumbo to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add okra, worcestershire, salt, pepper and tabasco and stir.  Simmer for another 45 minutes.  Skim fat a few times while cooking.  Remove bay leaves and serve over rice.

Serves 10-12.


Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At May 14, 2011 at 9:59 PM , Blogger Frank Clare said...

Great challenge. Everybody at the table loved it

 
At May 14, 2011 at 11:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yummmmm This was a wonderful challenge! Yours looks wonderful!

I'm a new follower--would love a follow back from the kitchens of TDK "club" =D

www.cookinformycaptain.blogspot.com

 
At May 15, 2011 at 7:20 AM , Blogger Audax said...

WOW you are first person who said that they wanted more gumbo that is marvellous!!! I adored this challenge and great to hear that you and your friends liked it so much wonderful wonderful wonderful effort and result.

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

 
At May 15, 2011 at 7:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was delicious! Even my kids ate it because it wasn't too spicy... just enough to lend to the flavor. YUMMMMMY!

 
At May 15, 2011 at 8:16 PM , Blogger Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg said...

It's my day for a blog hop, I'd love it if you came over and shared one of your great recipes at savory sunday!! Have a great day :)

 
At May 15, 2011 at 8:38 PM , Blogger Reeni said...

I made an adaption of this recipe not too long ago and loved it! I could eat it every day too! Delicious comfort food.

 
At May 16, 2011 at 2:13 PM , Blogger Andy said...

Looks very yummy!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home