<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, April 29, 2011

My Thai dinner

Jill from JBeanCuisine (great blog!) submitted this recipe in our latest swap, and I was the lucky recipient. The theme was Asian - it could have been any type of Asian dish from any course and country.

I was happy to see this recipe since Thai food is not something I get to enjoy often.  Frank's not a fan, so we never go out to have it, and I never make Thai dishes at home.  So, I planned this for a night (last night!) when I'd be home for dinner alone.  I scaled back the recipe a lot since I was the only one eating, and omitted a few ingredients as well.  I added one ingredient though - coconut milk.  I used just a tiny bit to give the soup an added flavor that I knew I'd enjoy.

Thanks for the inspiration, Jill...I never would have made this dish otherwise!  I had it with some dumplings.  It was delicious...so delicious that I forgot to take a picture before I started eating, so this is a midway-through-dinner shot :)



Tom Yum Soup
adapted from JBeanCuisine

2 cups chicken stock
1 inch piece of ginger
2 kaffir lime leaves
1 lemon grass stalk, bottom 3 inches only
1 red chili, diced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 cup coconut milk
4 shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
3 button mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup fresh spinach

Bring chicken stock to a boil.  Add in ginger, kaffir, lemon grass and red chilies.  Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. 
Once broth is ready, remove ginger pieces, kaffir leaves, lemon grass stalks and large pieces of red chilies.
Continuing over medium heat, add in the lemon juice, fish sauce, soy sauce and coconut milk.  Stir and allow flavors to combine for a few minutes.   Adjust fish sauce/soy sauce to taste.
Add in shrimp, mushrooms and spinach.  Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until shrimp are cooked and mushrooms/tomatoes are soft.  Serve immediately.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At April 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM , Blogger Jaida said...

Mmm...we LOVE Asian food, so I will definitely have to add this to an upcoming menu to try!!

 
At April 29, 2011 at 10:46 AM , Blogger Krystal R said...

I love everything Thai food, and most often I go out and eat it. This soup sounds easy enough to prepare at home. I've never worked with lemongrass though. Easy to find?

 
At April 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM , Blogger Beloved Green said...

I am such a huge Thai fan. The only way I can get any good Thai food around here though is if I make it myself--no easy take out meals around here. This looks fantastic!

 
At April 29, 2011 at 12:28 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Krystal, you can get it at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's!

 
At April 29, 2011 at 12:49 PM , Blogger Nicole said...

I love Thai food, but I run into the same problem with my husband. I'll have to put this on the list to make when he's not home for dinner.

 
At April 30, 2011 at 7:11 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

I could eat thai food all day every day and this dish looks absolutely delicious! Tom yum soup is a favorite of mine!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home