<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, April 22, 2011

Make it a Good Friday

For those observing, this is it - the last meatless Friday of Lent.  If you're looking for a quick, easy and delicious way to send it off, this dish is for you.

I'm a big fan of blackened anything.  Blackened chicken, blackened shrimp, blackened fish...I'm all over it.  The combination of spices is always a nice blend, not too overpowering but packed with flavor.  A nice glass of wine or an ice cold beer always washes it down well.  

I served this with baked kale chips and roasted tomatoes with garlic (recipe coming soon!).  Make this tonight - you'll be glad you did!


And here's a little peek at the fun Bella and I had dying Easter eggs.  It was her first time doing it - she had a blast!  She can't wait for the Easter Bunny to come steal them out of the fridge and hide them :)



PLUNK!



Attention: to all Moms of 2 year olds who haven't attempted this project yet - 6 is just the right amount of eggs.  Anymore and I would have lost Bella, FAST. 


Blackened Salmon
slightly adapted from Food Network

1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
10 sprigs fresh thyme, removed from stems
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon sea salt
4 pieces salmon (approximately 6 oz. each), skin on
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 lemons, zested and juiced

Mix the first 4 spices together in a small bowl.  Put the mixture on a plate and coat the flesh side of each piece  of salmon.

Heat a cast-iron pan over medium heat, then add oil.  Let the oil smoke heavily, shut heat off, and add salmon flesh side down.  Turn the heat back on and cook for about 3 minutes.  Flip salmon over and cook until skin is crispy, about 7 minutes.

Plate, sprinkle with lemon zest and juice and serve immediately.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At April 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM , Blogger Ann said...

That salmon looks wonderful. But, I really love the pictures of Bella! Looks like she enjoyed herself!

 
At April 22, 2011 at 9:01 PM , Blogger Donna said...

Hi Melissa! Thanks for visiting my blog! I adore yours and I love finding fellow Jersey-ians:) I'm following you as well:)
ps-your daughter is a DOLL!!! Have a great Easter:)

 
At April 23, 2011 at 9:20 AM , Blogger Ben said...

It's not easy to take the spotlight from a delicious-looking blackened salmon, but Bella's beautiful and joyous face does just that. These photos would make anyone smile!

Happy Easter to all.

Ben
http://kissthecook-ben.blogspot.com/

 
At April 24, 2011 at 10:52 PM , Blogger Jane said...

Hi Melissa,
Bella sure is a cutie! :)

Salmon is my favorite fish! I can't wait to try this! Unfortunately, I'm the only one that will eat it in my house. I guess they don't know what they're missin'!

Thanks for sharing this on Melt in Your Mouth Monday!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home