<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, April 25, 2011

Happy Birthday Nina! (What's Baking)

My spunky, adorable niece had her cake picked out 2 months ago.  She knew right away that she wanted a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and raspberry filling.  Great!  I already have a great recipe for the cake that I used for my Mother-in-law's, and the frosting that I used for my Mom's, so I just needed to add the filling.  Piece of cake, right?

Wrong.

I'm guessing the cake should have baked just a few minutes more, because both layers broke.  Yeah, I wasn't a happy camper.  No time to bake another one, either.  So, I used the frosting as "glue" and just dealt with it.

Plus, my local market was out of fresh raspberries, which I planned on using as a garnish for the top of the cake.  FAIL.  

Good thing it tasted pretty awesome.


At least it looked a little better after it was cut...


There were no complaints :)  


Leanne from The Martin Family is the host for our What's Baking? group this month, and the theme she chose was Spring baking.  I figured this was a good submission for it, given the raspberries.  Thanks for hosting, Leanne!


And happy 9th birthday to my gorgeous (and no longer little) niece Nina!  

Chocolate Raspberry Layer Cake
*see above for links to cake and frosting recipes* (use two round 9 inch baking pans)

For the raspberry filling:
3/4 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
1/2 cup raspberry preserves
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Put all ingredients in a small pot over medium-high heat.  Stir and cook until mixture boils.  Set aside and let cool.

To assemble the cake:
Place first cake layer on plate and top with raspberry filling (use it all!).  Add second cake layer, then frost the top and sides of the cake.  Top with fresh raspberries for a nice garnish...which was my original plan...

Linked to: Sweets For A Saturday
                  Valentine's Day Blog Hop



Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At April 25, 2011 at 10:43 AM , Blogger Nicole said...

In my mind, chocolate and raspberry is one of the best combinations out there. What a great looking cake.

 
At April 25, 2011 at 12:36 PM , Blogger Ann said...

It still looks delish! I love chocolate and raspberries! Happy Birthday, Nina!

 
At April 27, 2011 at 11:34 PM , Blogger Jaida said...

I want this cake!!! Chocolate & Raspberry is my very favorite flavor combo!!

 
At May 20, 2011 at 9:13 PM , Blogger My Mom's Recipe Box said...

Sounds good, chocolate and raspberries!!!

 
At May 22, 2011 at 2:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm having a linky party called A Themed Baker's Sunday where the theme is cake's/cake pop's I'd love for you to join!
http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/05/themed-bakers-sunday-6.html
Alyssa

 
At September 2, 2011 at 1:52 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Mmm, chocolate raspberry combos are SWEET!!!

 
At February 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM , Anonymous Katherine Martinelli said...

I love chocolate and raspberries and this cake looks right up my alley!! Thanks for linking up to my v-day blog hop! :-)

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home