<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A lightened up classic

I'll begin this by saying that I've never made salisbury steak before.  And the last time I ate it?  YEARS ago.  Many, many years ago.  

Of course, it sounded SO delicious when I recently read something about it, you know - since I'm on Weight Watchers and it seems like one of those "taboo" dishes.  So I headed over to their site to see if I could find a recipe.

Oh boy, did I find a recipe.  This was REALLY good!  No sacrifice in taste at all.  The gravy is perfect to spoon over a baked potato, which is great because then you don't have to use points on butter or sour cream.  Even if you aren't dieting, try this soon!



Salisbury Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
from Weight Watchers
1/3 cup onion, diced, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
2 garlic cloves, minced 
1 pound ground sirloin 
Cooking spray 
1 tablespoon butter 
8 ounces mushrooms, quartered 
1/3 cup dry red wine 
1 1/4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth 
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour 
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar 

Combine 1/4 cup onion, pepper, salt, garlic and beef.  Shape mixture into 4 (1/2 inch thick) patties.  



Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.  Coat with cooking spray.  Add patties and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until browned.  Remove patties. 

Melt butter in pan. Add mushrooms and saute for 4-5 minutes. Stir in wine and remaining onion, and cook for about 2 minutes.



Combine broth and flour.  Add to pan and bring to a boil.  Cook for about 5 minutes or until thick.  


Add patties and vinegar to pan, and cook for around 2 minutes.  Serve.



Serves 4
WW Points+ = 5


Linked to: What's On Your Plate, hosted by Good Cheap Eats
                 Hunk of Meat Monday


Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At March 29, 2011 at 11:07 AM , Blogger Sandy said...

Now we're talking!! I love this!

 
At March 29, 2011 at 8:32 PM , Blogger Ann said...

Melissa, I love Salisbury Steak and a tasty ww recipe makes it a perfect meal. Thanks, I love this!

 
At March 30, 2011 at 8:48 AM , Blogger Tami said...

I haven't had salisbury steak in quite a while. It used to be one of my favorite meals growing up. Thanks for the memories. It looks great!

 
At March 30, 2011 at 9:04 AM , Blogger SnoWhite said...

That looks like something we'd love. Thanks for sharing!

 
At March 30, 2011 at 10:13 AM , Blogger Beloved Green said...

This looks scrumptious. I love steak in any form, so this is great that it has a healthy twist to it!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home