<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, March 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad! (What's Baking)

Today is my Dad's 65th birthday!  We celebrated yesterday with a typical Sunday dinner...cheese, olives, salami, focaccia...lasagna, meatballs, braciole, pork, sausage, salad...and then...

Sicilian Cassata Cake.

OMG.


My father's family is from Sicily (and if you haven't been there, GO!) and we really enjoy Sicilian cuisine.  For those who don't know, Sicily is the little island at the bottom of Italy that the "boot" is kicking.  The food differs from the mainland in terms of the ingredients that are commonly used, but moreso with cooking than baking.


Coincidentally, our What's Baking theme this month (hosted by Amanda of Our Italian Kitchen) was to bake something that represents your heritage.  Thanks Dad...you made my decision for me! :)

I found a great recipe on Tartelette and instead of using her suggestion of stabilized whipped cream frosting, I made the frosting from the cake I made for my birthday last month.  We're big chocolate fans.

Frank and I didn't hesitate for a second when deciding what filling to have for our wedding cake - cannoli cream is our absolute favorite.  So, I was happy when Dad chose this cake for his special day.  The balance between the sponge cake, chocolate and cannoli cream was seriously amazing!


Yes, there are a lot of components, but it was totally worth the work...especially when you have a husband to help you chop pistachios and grate chocolate.  The recipe may seem complicated but it really isn't at all.

Oh, and to Tony, and any of Mom's coworkers reading this, you're welcome in advance.  Enjoy the leftovers today!


Enjoy your day, Pop Pop!


Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At March 21, 2011 at 10:48 AM , Blogger Nicole said...

Cannoli cream in a cake? Delicious! This cake looks amazing.

 
At March 21, 2011 at 8:15 PM , Blogger The Food Duo said...

So good! My husband's family is from Sicily too (Palermo and Ragusa). My father in law loves cassata. I need to learn to make it for him.

 
At March 22, 2011 at 8:07 PM , Blogger Ann said...

OMG! This cake has me wanting some. You ARE the real Housewife of NJ!

 
At March 25, 2011 at 7:53 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, your cake looks fantastic. Your dad must have been over the moon to have a cake like this to celebrate.

 
At March 26, 2011 at 5:11 PM , Blogger briarrose said...

Oh my....what a glorious cake. Excellent for a celebration. :)

 
At March 26, 2011 at 8:33 PM , Blogger Hannah said...

This is an amazing cake! Yummmmm!

 
At March 28, 2011 at 12:41 AM , Blogger Sneha Benny said...

Looks Delish !!!

 
At April 1, 2011 at 2:59 PM , Blogger Our Italian Kitchen said...

Such a sweet post and one of my favorite cakes with a twist!~ From another part-Sicilian gal!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home