<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Instant gratification

Sometimes I'll see a recipe and think, "damn, I need that NOW!"  Or at least, SOON.  Such was the case when I saw this recipe from Pam at For the Love of Cooking yesterday.  I already had all the ingredients so it was easy enough to satisfy my craving ASAP.

This will definitely be a staple in our house.  Normally we have burritos but this was a nice switch.  I didn't warm the tortillas beforehand like Pam suggested, and they turned out fine.  I served them with my Mexican rice (see recipe below), my spicy guacamole, salsa and sour cream.  And for me, a big pile of jalapenos :)


The onions and cheese were a perfect compliment to the pork.  SO good!  Thanks again, Pam!


Mexican Rice
1 boil-in bag brown rice (I think it's 3/4 cup)
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
salt, to taste
cumin, to taste
garlic powder, to taste
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/3 cup tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
fresh cilantro, chopped

Heat oil in a medium size pot over medium heat, then add rice.  Season with salt, cumin and garlic powder and stir constantly.  Once rice browns, add onion, and cook until translucent.

Add tomato sauce and chicken broth, and more spices to taste.  Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low and cover.  Cook for about 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.  Sprinkle cilantro over rice and serve.


Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At February 16, 2011 at 8:23 PM , Blogger Ann said...

Melissa, this looks really great. Nice picture, too!

 
At February 17, 2011 at 11:38 AM , Blogger Katerina said...

I am a sucker for Mexican. This looks like a perfect meal.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home