<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Time to get creative...

You know those days when you look in your fridge and pantry and realize you have items that need to be used up, like, NOW?  Happens to me sometimes.  


I always say I'm going to set weekly meal plans, but it never seems to work out for various reasons.  For one, I never know what I'll be in the mood for, or what I'll feel like cooking.  Or, our plans might change and we may end up somewhere else for dinner.  Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but then it will sometimes lead to this dilemma.


If the walls could talk, they'd say that today they heard, "what can I do these yams and this fennel before they go bad...and what about all those lemons Clori (my sister) gave me yesterday?"  (yes, I talk to myself often...don't lie - you do too)


Well, here's what I did.



I also made some croutons for our salad, out of the last of the bread given out of neighborly love (FINALLY, lol).


So to all those crazy people who bust down the doors at ShopRite as soon the word "snow" is mentioned, have no fear...you CAN make a good meal out of what's in your kitchen.  No need to panic.  And if you have any problems, just ask me...I'll be glad to help :)



Roasted Chicken Thighs With Yams, Fennel & Lemon
4 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
3 yams, peeled and cut in large chunks
1 head of fennel, tops and bottom cut, sliced
8 cloves garlic, whole, peeled
2 lemons, quartered
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Put yams in a roasting pan, followed by fennel and garlic.  Add chicken, and drizzle oil over everything.  Season with salt and pepper.  Put in oven for 20 minutes.

Remove pan from oven and shake everything around a bit so the juices are distributed.  Squeeze lemon pieces all over the food, then add them to the pan.  Lower temperature to 425, place pan back in oven, and cook for another 35 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked.

Serves 2.

Croutons
Italian bread (or whatever bread you like), stale, cut into bite size cubes
extra virgin olive oil
dried oregano
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Toss bread cubes in a bowl with EVOO and other ingredients until fully coated.  Place bread on foil-lined baking pan and cook for about 15 minutes.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At January 25, 2011 at 8:18 PM , Blogger Ann said...

This looks like a wonderful meal that you whipped up. You're right I think my family could eat for a week with the food that I have in my house right now!

 
At January 26, 2011 at 8:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm...this look like a delicious meal! I love anything with yams in it! :) Yummy!

 
At January 28, 2011 at 6:18 PM , Blogger The Poet Herself said...

Meal plans never worked for me for the same reasons. Glad to see I'm not the only mood-cooker/baker. :) Nice job with bringing that meal together with what you had on hand, BTW!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home